MTB or mountain bike is a bicycle specifically designed to conquer routes in mountainous terrain. This type of bike relies heavily on durability, and quality suspension so that the biker can maneuver properly. There are many brands and types of MTB that you can find in the market. However, for professional bicycle needs, not all …
MTB or mountain bike is a bicycle specifically designed to conquer routes in mountainous terrain. This type of bike relies heavily on durability, and quality suspension so that the biker can maneuver properly.
There are many brands and types of MTB that you can find in the market. However, for professional bicycle needs, not all are available in the Indonesian marketplace. And, you might experience some difficulties in choosing the right bike for competition.
Therefore, we present several MTB bikes for professionals or beginners who want to try the world of mountain bikes. But before that, we will share information about MTB bikes and how to care.
Get to know the type of professional MTB that you will buy
In the selection of MTB bikes, you must carefully consider several things, such as driving style, bicycle features, compatibility with the body, as well as what type of bicycle is most suitable for mountainous trails that you want to conquer. Therefore, here are some types of MTB that you can choose and consider.
First, Trail Bikes. This type of MTB bicycle is used to pass through various paths in mountainous areas that have uneven contours. Or rather, MTB which is used for climbing and descending mountains. Therefore, trail bikes are designed with a 120-140mm suspension, as well as a head-tube angle of 67-69 degrees.
Second, All-Mountain Bikes. You will need this type of bicycle to go down the narrow, steep mountain path. All-mountain bikes are designed to be able to overcome obstacles such as large rocks, tree trunks, and tree roots that arise.
Third, Downhill Bikes. You will need a super strong and lightweight MTB bike to handle the downhill track. In this sport, bikers are required to jump from one rock to another, and descend rocky paths in dangerous mountains. Downhill bikes generally have a suspension of up to 200mm and a head-tube angle of 63-65 degrees.
Choose the professional MTB suspension feature according to the track type
MTB bicycle suspension has several types, namely rigid, hardtail, and full suspensions. You must carefully adjust the type of suspension features and the character of the track to be used. Therefore, errors in the case of suspension can cause accidents that are quite painful.
On a rigid suspension bicycle, the biker will receive all collision loads between the bike and the ground. This type of bicycle is not very suitable for steep mountain paths. While the hardtail MTB type, there is one suspension position on the front fork. With this type of suspension, the impact load will be significantly reduced at the front.
Then, the full suspension MTB has a suspension on the fork and rear shock. So, all collision loads on the front and back will be reduced completely. This dual suspension MTB bike is perfect for all track needs, especially for downhill.
Choose the best frame that is strong and lightweight
You will need a frame that is super strong and lightweight. Some materials commonly used to make MTB bicycle frames such as aluminum alloy, titanium, to carbon fiber. All of these materials have similar characteristics, namely strong, lightweight, and rust resistant.
However, the selection of MTB bicycle frames is not only about material. You must carefully choose the most suitable geometry. Therefore, the ability of the suspension and upgrade features of the MTB bike is strongly influenced by the geometric shape of the frame.
In general, MTB bikes have a high head-tube angle characteristic, which is 63 to 69 degrees. When you buy a MTB bike partially, be sure to check frame compatibility with other components, such as wheels and so on.
Choose the size according to the shape and size of the body
There is really no specific way to choose an MTB bike that fits the body. The person who understands that the bike is suitable or not is you. However, to find out, note the following points:
- When riding an MTB bike for the first time, pay attention and feel whether your shoulders are relaxed enough or not, with your elbows slightly bent. If you can’t feel comfortable, then you can choose a bike with another type of frame.
- Then, feel whether the bicycle saddle is comfortable enough or not. Because the shape and size of each person’s hips are different. Choosing the wrong saddle will cause pain and discomfort during use.
- Then, for pedals, make sure your knees are not too straight or too bent when stepping on them. A pedal pedal that is too straight will reduce balance, and if the knee position is too bent, you will quickly feel tired.
The suitability of the MTB bicycle with your body is greatly influenced by the shape and size of the frame. Therefore, be sure to learn more about this. Measure height and foot length before choosing a frame in a bicycle shop or in an online marketplace.
How to care for a MTB bike that is good and right
Mountain paths traversed by MTB bikes often make some components quite dirty, either due to dust, organic matter such as leaves, or mud. Therefore, in order to maintain the performance of the bike, you can do some maintenance as follows:
- Try to wash your MTB bike after use and clean the dirt. But, don’t forget to remove components, such as speedometers, and V brakes so they don’t get damaged by water.
- Don’t forget to clean the chain. Please do not spray with water, use a wet cloth and rub until the dirt is falling.
- Check the parts and components on the bicycle’s braking system, because it will be fatal if you neglect this one thing. And, if your bike uses a rather complicated braking system, then you can take it to the bicycle repair shop.
- Check bicycle tire pressure regularly, both before and after use.